Sunday, August 04, 2013

House Update

I'm sure some of you have been wanting to see more progress on the house. You're not alone. I feel like I've been dragging my feet lately.

I don't think my American (US) friends have a holiday tomorrow, but here in Ontario, it's a civic holiday. I've decided that I want to tackle the floor in the "L Room" upstairs.

This afternoon, I took all the crap and furniture out of there (and now all the rest of the upstairs is a nightmare), and I'll hopefully be getting all the nail holes puttied, scraped/sanded, and then wash the floor and do the first coat by tomorrow evening, otherwise sometime during the week.

I did have one small project that I do want to share, and it's not a big one. I finally made an order to Lee Valley Tools for some hardware (so that I can finish working on that Cherry Bookcase project), and I also got more slot-head brass screws so that I could finish installing the mini "cubby hole door" in the Office.

I apparently forgot that I also needed more butterfly hinges, so I had to make a trip to the hardware store to pick up a set. They didn't have the brass plated ones like all my other ones, so these are solid brass instead.



Doesn't that look cute? It works wonderfully, and I like how it turned out. I had thought of putting miniature trim around it like a door casing, but in the end, I prefer this low-key design. My baseboard will fit under it with about 1/2 inch or so under the door. I could have hinged it on the other side, but this direction avoids any possible nicks/scrapes to the painted wall, and gives a bit more arm room to get in there.

Those who are new to the blog will note that I need access into this drywall column because my main phone line, and two cable lines come into the house from this corner (which is also for a heating duct).



For fun, here's the BEFORE to refresh your memory:

 photo P4306755.jpg

I've also been in the mood for fresh flowers, so I snatched a large hydrangea bloom. I've been strongly considering planting a hydrangea bush as part of the front yard flower beds (in the future), along with peonies. We'll see.



2 comments:

  1. It does look cute...secret doors are always fun !
    Wondering if the green paint in the downstairs room has grown on you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come to "not hate" the green. It's still not what I wanted, but it's fine for now. I have no plans to repaint it anytime soon (not until all the other rooms in the house are done - which won't be for years).

      Delete