Saturday, June 09, 2012

Stained Glass Find

I went to a few yard sales on foot this morning. Two of them were total junk, but on the way to the third, I spotted a gorgeous old stained glass panel being thrown out. It's in really rough shape, though. It has many broken pieces, and several missing ones too. The lead came is also very distorted, bent, torn, and all the cement in the joints is falling out. This means that the entire window would need to be completely disassembled, and all new lead installed. I've always wanted to try doing some stained glass, so it looks like I just might get my wish.

It's mostly clear glass in different frosted and textured patterns, but it has a light purpleish-pink border, and another band (and highlights) in a very pale lemon yellow. The centre piece is a very thick beveled glass in sort of a shield shape.

Again, if I had my camera, I'd share the pictures, so that will have to wait.

I'm really hoping that I can closely match some of the missing and broken pieces, but this won't be easy since there are no stained glass shops in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment