Tuesday, October 22, 2013

New (Old) Sofa!

I scored a pretty nice old sofa this week. I saw it on Kijiji (our Craigslist) late last week, and I debated whether or not I should go have a look at it. Based on the photo, my boss said it didn't look too promising. I ended up going to see it on Sunday, and it was just what I wanted:

- Good solid frame
- Springs (Coils rather than no-sag/zig-zag)*
- Nice Size

* The way to tell if a sofa or chair has coil springs is simply to feel the bottom (underside). If it's hard/stiff (rather than just a loose dust cover) then it's webbing and coils.

I made arrangements with the lady to pick it up on Monday evening. I went after work with my mom to get it. It was only 30$, and I think it was money well-spent.

The fabric that's currently on it is very good quality (and matches the living room colour scheme), but I'll probably be redoing it (in the next year).

The frame is loose (you can pick it up and twist the sofa), and the legs have been sanded down to bare wood. There's also some bumpiness to the springs/seat, so it will definitely need work. In the meantime, it's perfectly usable, and I love it! I plan to add 2 throw pillows to it.





The legs were originally a dark brown mahogany colour, and will eventually be redone in that colour.

The best part is that I can now finally get rid of these two "temporary" sofa chairs that I've had for over a decade*. They were comfy, and I had planned to reupholster them, but the foam in them needs replacing, and the frames aren't that great, plus I really don't like them that much, so it's finally time to say goodbye. They're currently at the road for tomorrow morning's pickup.





* I honestly can't remember how long I've had them, but I've had them since at least 1998.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you got a great deal! I really like the shape and scale of the new sofa.

    ReplyDelete