Monday, November 07, 2011

Recent Photos

I took some photos over the weekend of stuff that's "in progress" around the house. Some are not exciting, like the photos of patched floor boards, but everyone likes photos, so I'm posting them anyways.

First up is this stupid thing that's been drying for 2 1/2 weeks and shows no signs of being dry enough any time soon *grumble*.

Photobucket

The putty on it is still soft and icy cold to the touch (meaning it's still pretty moist inside). I've kept it in the upstairs bedroom since I thought it would dry nicely, but I guess not. By the feel/look of it I'm gonna assume it will be ok to paint in 4 weeks (1 1/2 weeks from now)-ish.

The closet shelf.

Note (and I know it's hard to see in the photos) that I was very picky about how nicely finished and "fitted" that I wanted the shelf to look. The supports are notched down so that the finished shelf is level with the sides of the support, and the edges are routed with a decorative "Roman Ogee" to echo the trim on the windows (and that I'll reuse elsewhere to match). I also rounded the front of the plywood shelf.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then I took a better shot of the partially built closet wall. Please ignore the huge piles of furniture/junk:

Photobucket

Repaired t-g patches:

Photobucket

They're not all done yet.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I started to do around this vent but the gaps in the floor are so wide that I'll need to modify my boards to make them wider. As-is they're the same size as the originals, but the floor has shifted so much in this spot that if I use them as-is they will barely interlock (weak joints) and I'll have HUGE gaps between the boards.

Photobucket

Here are a bunch of photos I was not planning to take/show until the Master Bedroom was done, but since it's taking FOREVER, and I probably won't have the floor done until next spring due to the fumes, I figured I'd show it off now, and again later.

Still left to do is to finish the painting in the closet, rewire/repair the matched antique light fixtures & put them up, and paint the floors. I also need to hook-up the other cold air return.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The doorway visible in the hallway is the bathroom door.

Photobucket

Lastly, I was really tired of not having many of my clocks up and running, and I missed one in particular. I was going to wait to put up the wall ones until I knew where I wanted them (to avoid unnecessary holes in the walls), but I decided to put this one up. It's one of my favourites.

Info: The clock is a miniature (very hard to find) spring Vienna (not a true Vienna regulator, since those are always weight driven). From top to finial it's only barely 23". The quality of the mechanism and parts (mounting bracket, pendulum, nuts/bolts) on this clock are also phenomenal. Best of all, I got in on eBay for a song.

Here you can see it (taken from the same angle as I see it while sitting at the PC) hanging in the wall of the Office over the computer (you can see my dusty webcam), illuminated by the soft orange glow of my old light fixture.

Photobucket

More detailed photos of this clock are here:
http://s1018.photobucket.com/albums/af308/clockmaker15/#!cpZZ3QQtppZZ16

7 comments:

  1. My putty was totally not ready to be primed/painted after 1 1/2 weeks, but I did it anyway. I was COLD! Did you use DAP33?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, yes I used the crappy Dap33. I knew it was well known for taking an eternity to dry, but it's the only locally available putty other than "mastic" which I think it more for plumbing anyway. I didn't want to mail order anything either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was stuck with DAP, too. The cost of shipping Sarco was not pleasant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, even the Sarco that I used seems to be taking forever. The doors that I did 3 weeks ago could still be dented easily if I handle it wrong. I think I could have painted it by now, just chose to be extra safe and wait a little while (plus had too many other things swirling around).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate to just keep repeating myself, but I love looking at all these updates, and you're creating a jewel! - Mark

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mark, your words of encouragement are always appreciated. Sometimes I think I'm one of the very few (from friends and family) who sees the potential in my rather modest little house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been lurking around your site for some time now, and I have to say, the bedroom is looking wonderful!! I too enjoy the updates, but seeing the almost-after just goes to show how much work you've done! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete