Monday, March 12, 2012

New Purchase!

I have a house related post/update coming shortly (from work done this past Friday), and I also have another "Cornwall Homes" post I want to do, but I just haven't got the time at the moment.

Instead, I wanted to share a new purchase. As many of you may (or may not) know, I'm a clockmaker. I have between 75-100 (I have honestly lost count), in several states of disrepair (since I buy bargain clocks that tend to need extensive work), and I love bringing them back to 'life'.

Since I bought the house back in April 2010, I've been saving/spending all my money on the house. I've only bought 2 clocks since then, and one was received as a gift from my aunt.

But this morning I bought one (or "won" one) on eBay.

I just happen to have checked my eBay, thinking that I had already missed the auction, but there were 7 hours left on it (at 6am). I was going to be at work until 6-7 (when I get home), so I decided to place a rather conservative bid on it. I did not expect to win the auction at all.

When I got home, however, I was overjoyed to see that I was the highest bidder (at just a few dollars under my maximum bid).

The photo is a bit small, but it's the only photo that shows the full clock.



It's not a very old clock. It's actually a good quality reproduction (from around 1910-20) of a clock that would have been made during the Renaissance.

Here are two examples of such clocks. The first one is ca. 1600, and the second one is ca. 1670.





The clock I bought is only really "reminiscent of" this type of clock, but the real thing is usually only found in museums, and in private collections where the collector doesn't mind spending 6 or 7 figures on one.

All this to say that I'm thrilled. I plan to make an antique looking wall bracket to display it (once I get it). It won't be here for a while, either, since I bought it from the UK.

2 comments:

  1. Your Renaissance clock appears to be a very good reproduction — Congratulations! Mark

    ReplyDelete