Friday, May 11, 2012

349

I've been dragging my feet when it comes to the house. I had today off (Friday) and I wasted much of it in front of the computer.

I did force myself to do a TEENSY bit of work, namely a bit more drywall patching, and installing ONE piece of trim for the office built-in (the sill piece).

But, I got inspired (quite randomly) to yank-off my house number plaque and start fixing it.

I'm not sure if this is the case in your particular home town, but I've noticed that a lot of older homes in town have these wonderful old blue and white house numbers. My house was no exception. I was THRILLED that my house still had the original number.

I'll go into more detail about these later this week (maybe tomorrow).

But here is my number 349.



As you can see, it's in pretty rough shape. It was nailed in place (rather than held with screws as I'd have thought it should be). I was surprised to find that these are actually enameled numbers. I had always thought that they were just painted tin. They are actually a fairly thick steel plate, enameled in black on the back. The front is coated first with white, and then the blue is added, leaving the white background showing the numbers (this is very obvious when looking at it from an angle, and if you notice where it's chipped (not really visible in these 3 photos).



You can see all kinds of grime, as well as careless brush marks from a painter. The portion above is rusted right through the plate. I plan to fix this.



I've already cleaned it up, removed all the grime, dirt, etc, and begun repairing it. BUT, I'm not showing any additional photos until it's ready for the reveal. I'll need to wait 24 hours before I can paint it, so realistically it won't be ready until Sunday.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment