This morning, my new mattress got delivered. This is kind of a big deal for me since I've never had a new mattress till now. I've always had the same single bed and mattress since I was little. My current mattress should probably have been changed over 10 years ago, but I've been used to it (and it's still in decent shape). That said, the new one is much more comfortable, and I really appreciate the extra 4" in length (80" rather 76") since I'm 6 feet tall.
I've decided that this is where the bed will go (across from the closet door). I had originally wanted it to be in the other half of the room, but because of the doors it would have been inconvenient/odd.
I was also surprised to see that if I had wanted to, I could have easily fit a king bed in here (this is a queen). In case you're curious, it's a Sealy Westington (semi-firm), and it was recommended to me by my friend Sharon who had been working at Leon's (a furniture chain in Canada) up until a month or so ago.
Here's the work so far on the Office built-in. Since this photo (last week-ish) the putty has been sanded, and the edges/gaps siliconed. I need to make 2 lengths of moulding for the bottom (the second one will be for the kitchen one eventually).
Lastly, I started tearing apart the porch (removing the aluminum siding) last week. The whole job took me maybe 30-40 minutes. There wasn't much holding everything in place. Most of the siding had only 4 nails per length.
As you can see, the house originally had a much more colourful paint scheme. Unfortunately, however, Removing this siding confirmed my suspicions and I'll be needing to scrap and replace all the bead board. Some of it is in good shape, but most of it has started to rot, and the current paint on it is oil based, and it has adhesion problems, blistering, and flaking.
Part of the corner post is also rotted, but it's only the outer portion (it's two 2x4s and only one is in bad shape), so I'm not sure if I'll just leave that alone or try to patch it a bit before I recap everything.
I'm also going to need to replace the two outermost boards on each side of the porch since they are badly damaged/rotted.
I'm not quite ready to replace the lattice yet, but you can see that it's also in very bad shape.
Parts of it are so bad that they are literally falling off.
I didn't do much this weekend, but I'm hoping that I can go buy the new t-g tomorrow.