Saturday, November 02, 2013

Miracle Product?

I don't often do any kind of product placement on this blog, but one that I've tried lately has really impressed me.

The product in question is Howard's Restore-A-Finish (which I'll abbreviate to HRaF).

I have been trying several different products on my dining room set to hide the scratches in the varnish (because I don't want to refinish it), including lemon oil (which hid the scratches and made it look beautiful, but it faded after a week), oil based stain, which only partially hid the marks, linseed oil (didn't work well), paste wax, etc.

I ended up running across a bottle of HRaF at a local store for 10$, and I decided to give it a try.

With just one application, these were the results I had:



In the photo above, just the front half of the top, and the right-hand door have been done.

Top detail. You can see that it covered-up 95% of the scratches and blemishes. This includes the horrible blotchy areas in the centre.



Front doors before/after. Both were equally scratched and faded:



The door interiors were also both horribly nicked and scratched. This is the left door (before), and the right door (after).





So yeah, absolutely superb product. It's easy to apply, and it does exactly what it advertises. According to the label, it's permanent, and they recommend simply top-coating with paste wax if desired (I'll likely just wax the top surfaces).

3 comments:

  1. The Howard's is great, and I'll go a step further and vouch for the awesomeness of their wax (in the bottle) as well. Good luck with all your projects, looks like you'll have more than enough to keep you busy through winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have some nice projects. I'll have to look for that Howard,s stuff. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete