I will have a bunch of posts and tons of photos coming very soon.
As some of you know, I'm currently laid off, so I've been fairly productive with the house. Yesterday I finished installing the crown moulding in the main hallway (and it looks awesome). I've also done some work on the living room door jamb (which had to be shimmed-out to match the new (thicker) drywall that the PO put in).
This is a copy of a post I made to my personal (online) journal about what I did earlier today:
I seem to like giving myself extra work and extra headaches. I tend to do this often, and intentionally, but always in the pursuit of a better looking finished product.
What the hell am I talking about? The bathroom vanity.
I started to install it today and I didn't get that far. I wanted the vanity to fit into place with as few "tack-on" pieces as possible. Normally when we install a cabinet like this, we would install the main cabinet, then a filler piece on the side near the wall/casing. I chose instead, to have the "filler" piece built into the cabinet. That's fine, and I left enough room for it, but it's a lot more work.
I also went and used solid maple on the entire face and bottom, which I had to cut-away/sand to shape, and my belt-sander is a piece of crap.
I did manage to get it cut and shaped exactly how I wanted, but it took like 2 hours.
Additionally, I'm going to have the exact same problem when it comes to cutting/sanding the base of the vanity, since I need to remove at least 1/4" along one whole side to make it sit level.
Again: the finished product will look so much nicer, but what a headache.