Next came the vapour barrier and drywall. One of the reasons that I took down all the drywall was because A: it was super super dirty and gross, and B: because I wanted moisture/mildew proof drywall. This stuff is twice the price of regular drywall, but if it gets wet (and it did*) it won't rot.
* The drywall was in the garage after it was delivered, and I had not fixed the door/seal yet, so when it rained, all the bottom got wet.
I also had to cut the hole for the fan, which was pretty much terrifying, since I'd be disturbing the (probably) asbestos-contaminated insulation. So I went about this very slowly and carefully, and I pushed/slid the insulation out of the way for the most part. Cutting the hole was the most nerve-wracking, but I got it done.
I wanted a seamless edge for the fan, so it was installed using a wooden box/frame, which was mudded flush with the ceiling.
From the hallway side, I also installed some recycled mouldings. The top crown for the door was the piece that was on that bookshelf-thing in the wall in the office, and the side pieces and plinths were a mix of old and new.
Doing the joints/corners/seams in the drywall took forever. I have learned to hate it. In the end, the walls turned out pretty good, but the ceiling could have been better. It's still better than many other places in the house, though.
Here is the room primed:
Then I had to decide on a colour. Originally I wanted this one:
Which is the same as the colour on the right:
But I found it was too pink, and too dark. I was pretty disappointed since I had already bought the 50$ can of paint. I ended up using the lighter colour.
Window trim (also reused/salvaged bits and pieces).
The bottom piece of trim did not get made until much later.
COLOUR! For the most part, I've always lived in a white house (some wallpaper, but I don't count that) and even my apartment was all white. So this was a welcome change. I had wanted a more taupe/grey shade but I still like this.
The sconces were some of the cheapest I could find that had a classic look, with a chrome finish. I think they were 35$ each plus tax.
The cover that came with the fan did not fit, but it's hideous anyways:
The next step was to finish the bath surround so that I could shower in my own house! I had been walking over to my mom's house, 3-4 blocks away to shower.
I bought a neutral, "hotel style" fabric curtain, and a liner, as well as a fancy chrome tension rod.
Continue in Part 3...