Tiling was a big deal for me not because of the skill required, but because of the type of tile I was using. Slate. I chose natural slate tiles for the floor based on a client's bathroom I had seen, as well as an entry that I had seen in slate. It was one of the first things I bought because the store where I got it had a very good sale on it. Less than 2$ a tile, I believe. It cost around 120$ for enough tiles for the whole floor plus spares.
When it came time to install the tiles, I relied on the advice from one of the employees at Home Depot, and I went with a mastic type tile adhesive.
Never ever use that shit. It is absolutely useless, and doesn't work at all. The manufacturers claim that it dries in 24 hours, but even after 2 days, if I walked over a tile, I could hear squishy noises. NOT good.
I ended up having the rip off all the tiles, scrape them, wash them, and start completely over. At this point I had only the main tiles done.
This was after 2 days of drying.
Soft like icing.
Here you can see the areas that were dry (just that little crust along the edges).
Luckily, it's all water based, and it came off fairly easily, but it was a huge set back, and ate up a lot of time for nothing.
When I returned the stuff to HD, the guy who worked in the plumbing/tiling area said that the other guy (a new guy) should have never sold me this, and that I should have gone with a thinset mortar/cement. They gave me the bag of thinset for free for all the trouble.
Apparently contractors like to use this mastic adhesive since it dries in 24 hours, but I can't understand how. It just doesn't dry. But that's what the tile guy said. He said it's not recommended for floors, or for anything larger than 6" x 6", but the label on the product clearly says that it's perfect for floors, and for tiles up to 12" x 12". It even says it's good for slate, so based on the label alone, it should have been perfect.
Here was the matched moulding for the window:
It was not an exact match, but it was the closest thing we had at work:
Back to the tiles, once I had the right product, it went well. I mixed the cement in small batches, and I laid the floor out the same as before (I had picked what tiles I wanted in which spots, so I numbered them). The thinset actually felt hard after just about an hour or so, and it was fully cured in 24 hours (so why use that other shit? Makes no sense).
I thought I had a pre-grout photo, but nope.
The grout was another nerve-wracking job that I was afraid to screw-up. Once it goes down, it's pretty permanent, and I also wanted nice smooth joints. I watched a few tutorials on YouTube, and then got it done. It was actually much easier than I had thought. Very messy, but not difficult. The trick is to use water very sparingly, and to make sure the tiles are very clean (no film). I picked a fairly dark colour for the grout, since it will eventually get dirty, and I wanted the dirt to show as little as possible. I also wanted something that would match well with the slate. I picked "New Taupe".
Installing the baseboards, and the toilet took a bunch more time, but it got done.
This is pretty much it. I just recently finished the door trim (crown), and a toilet seat was installed a while back (just a white wooden seat with chrome clips).
(The trim is now fully painted but I didn't photograph it yet).
Things left to do:
- Connect the fan and cut/install the vent in the roof.
- Make a fan cover.
- Accessories (towel bar, toilet paper holder)
- Door (I haven't got any doors for the house yet)