I've been aching to tear-up the rest of the floors upstairs for months, and this afternoon I finally decided to go ahead and do it. This will also let me be able to finish remaking the closet(s) and adding a linen cupboard in the hallway.
Be warned, this post is image heavy. If you get easily confused and disoriented, I'll try to explain where most of the shots are taken. You can also refer to the floor plan here: http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af308/clockmaker15/SecondFloor.jpg
For fun, here are a few before shots from April 2010 (when I first got the house).
Some of you will know that I had already started to tear a bit of it up about a week or so ago, so you know that I discovered that there may have been another room upstairs (6 total original rooms + 4 *TINY* closets).
The first step was to move the furniture out of the way. Once that was done, taking off the click laminate takes only a minute. Under this was loose foam (the MB had it stapled down in one half). I was not that surprised to find that they had just rolled the foam directly over broken and partly removed crumbly "Marbolum" linoleum tiles.
Another view. These are both pointing towards the front of the house, taken from the "laundry room".
Taken from the hallway outside the bathroom:
Taking up the first board revealed something I wasn't expecting. Red. the floor in this room (and only this room) was painted red.
After one more piece taken up, and a bit of sweeping:
This is taken from in the "L room" facing the "laundry" room. The open door (with the bright window) leads down the back staircase to the garage/side of the house (the window, which is one of two, overlooks the roof of the garage).
More plywood gone...
This is standing in the laundry room, and it shows the original layout of the closets, which had super thin walls (thickness of a 2x4 on it's side plus baseboards).
This is the last small section of the original closet, which shows how the wall was arranged. It looks like there was no drywall inside the closet originally, but it's very hard to tell if it was just painted later.
Standing in from of the "centre window" (the one over the porch if you're looking at the front of the house) looking into the room.
From the corner with the furnace vent/cable wire.
You can see exactly where the original wall and doorway(s) used to be.
This is the best photo to show the colour. The floor is also less dirty in this corner. You will notice in all the photos that there are light lines of red in the floor, and dirty black residue. I'm 99% sure that this is from a previous flooring (which I've found pieces of) which was a black tar paper, covered with a one-piece linoleum flooring. The black paper wasn't glued, but from all the walking on the floor, it left residue against the paint.
This will be the last corner left to do, but I have a ton of stuff piled in it at the moment, so I might get to it only in a few weeks.