I just made a quick, and fairly restrained post about this house over on Old House Web, but as my fellow blog readers, you get the uncensored version.
Since I moved into this house, I've made it a point to walk all the nearby streets in the neighbourhood, to see the houses, and look for original details for my own renovations. For the most part, a large number of the houses in this area are pretty run-down, and heavily remuddled. 95% of all the houses are covered in vinyl, and the remaining 5% are rotting. The ones that are in good shape tend to be the brick houses, which usually escape the more drastic remodel ideas (moving windows, painting, capping in vinyl) since they aren't as easy to modify.
My area of town is a bit farther north than the older parts of town, so most of the houses in this neighbourhood are from the 30s, 40's or later, with the exception of maybe 4-5 Victorians.
On such house is just 2 blocks away, and I pass by it regularly. It's capped in vinyl, and the original windows are gone, but it's in generally good shape. The real show-stopper on this house, however, were its original set of solid wood entry doors. I loved these doors.
Last weekend, coming back from a trip to Home Depot with my Mom, we passed by the house, and I screamed in terror (not kidding, she stopped the car) when I saw what they had done.
These are the only before photos I have, and they are pretty low-quality screen grabs from Google Maps.
This is why I was so horrified:
I just can't believe someone would do this. Those doors were gorgeous. They not only removed the door, but they also destroyed the original curved transom windows. And I can't understand why they did this. The doors looked like they were in fantastic shape. They weren't even painted! I was so pissed and sad about this that I wrote them a rather nasty letter (trying my best to stay civil and polite about the whole thing).
It just looks so awful compared to before. And those cheap pieces of sh*t doors won't last. I have the same kind of awful metal doors on my house. They were installed the year before I bought the house (2009), and two are already not opening or closing properly, even though they were "professionally installed". The front door needs to be slammed to close properly, the back door is crooked (but works ok), the upstairs one is ok, but the worst of the bunch is the side door, which I literally have to body-slam to close it. Even slamming it as hard as I possibly can, doesn't always close it completely.
And the weather stripping on these doors is pretty crappy. Several of mine are already nicked and torn. These are all reasons why I want to scrap them as soon as I find nicer old wood doors.
I promised some better photos of those colour samples. So here you go:
Then these are some samples I've been tacking-on to the wall for the dining room. Again, I'm nowhere near ready to paint, but I am pretty sure that I want to go with a golden yellow/orange for this room.
I was originally inspired by this photo, but I think it might be a bit too dark in my house.
This one also looks quite nice.
These are some of the swatches I started out with:
And then I removed one that was a duplicate, and all the ones that were too dark, or the wrong shade.
Out of those, I like swatch 3, third and fourth from the top, and swatch 4, fourth from the top. I'm still not sure. I always tend to pick colours that turn out to be WAY darker once they're on the wall, so I'll be getting samples before I commit to anything.
Thoughts? Opinions? Does anyone already have a similar colour in their house?